Monday, December 29, 2014

New Year Goals

A coworker asked me if I had ever considered writing a blog, given my awesome sense of humor and what some have called "the voice of this generation". I sheepishly told  her how I like to be called the voice of this generation and that I already had a blog. This one. She enjoyed it and I have to admit it's always nice for people for people to tell you that you're good at something.

Her comment prompted me to browse through my posts in the last five years. It felt a little like when I check my Timehop every day. Timehop is an app for phones. You sync it with your social media accounts and it tells you what you've done on that day in the past. The thing is, it's fun to look back sometimes using Timehop and see how much things have changed - a facebook post about a hangover compared to the fact that you're up at 5 with a baby these days, an instagram of you when you had different hair, etc. When I looked through my past blog posts, there were a lot of commonalities. The running theme since at least 2011 has been me stressed or unhappy or both. And I'd like to change that. I've done some reading on the subject, and according to people who know more than me about changing your life situation, writing out your goals to organize them and keeping a journal of things can help. I'd like to do that.

The thing is, I've never been much of a journal keeper. My aunt and uncle got me a diary for my birthday in the sixth grade. It was fuschia and turquoise with a picture of a vintage convertible on the hard, shiny cover. I was way more excited about the lock and key that came with it than the actual act of journaling my life. My thoughts throughout my life have never lived all that long in my head. I give them almost immediately to the nearest person. This both gets me in trouble an amuses me. A lot. So my goal, as the new year approaches, is to organize my life in such a way that I don't spend hours trying to figure out how I got here, but instead I will try and figure out how to get where I want to go. This incessant drowning feeling is getting old. So thats where the blog comes in. I will list my goals for the year and hope to give a somewhat regular update on my progress. More for me, but out there for you to judge and ridicule. A commitment. I hope to achieve at least one of them. Or at least take some solace in the fact that I am actively trying to change my life for the better.

So the next few posts will have to do with my 3 big goals for a happier 2015: Get my weight under control, get my finances under control, and figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment